eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper

Eagle River Lighthouse Photo courtesy of HomeAway This 1850s lighthouse on Lake Superior is available as a vacation rental for those who want to try out the light keeper's life for a … Find the closest hotels to Eagle Harbor Range Lighthouse, Select a photograph to view a photo gallery. Administration of lighthouses on the local level went to the collectors of customs. EAGLE HARBOR RANGE LIGHTHOUSE . The first keeper John Spear, served two separate terms at the lighthouse-from 1839 to 1841 and 1843 to 1848. A fog signal building was added in 1895. The red brick Eagle Harbor Light Station sits on the rocky entrance to the harbor and is a working lighthouse as it guides mariners across the northern edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Eagle Harbor Light constructed. Eagle Harbor, LLC is a Government Support Services company. Eagle Harbor Light is a brick gable-roofed keeper's dwelling and octagonal light tower that held a fourth-order Fresnel lens made by Sautter of Paris. Michigan Travel Michigan Usa Harbor Lights Lighthouse Pictures Upper Peninsula Lake Superior Great Lakes Places To See Country. The first keeper was named Hedgecock, who was in charge from 1765 until 1780. Lighthouse is on Lake Superior on the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan. The lighting apparatus from the old lighthouse was transferred to the new decagonal lantern room, where it was mounted atop a cast-iron pedestal. In 1924, ruby glass was placed over one of the flash panels, changing the light’s characteristic to a fixed white light with alternating red and white flashes. The first lighthouse at Little River was built in 1847. Mary Thomson, wife of keeper Thomas, served for three months as an acting keeper of the Eagle Harbor Range light following the departure of Mary Wheatley in 1905 (see below). As an example, you have a letter (cover) addressed to Peter C. Bird, head Keeper, Eagle Harbor Light Station, Eagle Harbor, Michigan. Mary served 18 years before dying in a mysterious fire at the light in 1886. The brown light keeper’s cottage near the lighthouse is available for week-long rentals. “Postcard Find Helps Bring Eagle Harbor Keeper’s Life to Light,” Jeremy D’Entremont. During the winter of 1932 – 33, Gertrude hired the County Road Commission to move the lighthouse as the swampy ground around the lighthouse would be frozen. To Woodward, the lighthouse at Eagle Harbor, Michigan is the most beautiful. The following year, the Eagle Harbor Mining Company arrived and built the expansive Eagle Harbor House, which opened to boarders in 1846 and remains standing today. His lightkeeping career started with short stints at Rock of Ages Lighthouse and Harbor Beach Lighthouse, before he was assigned to Eagle Rock Lighthouse in 1940. harbor, and then when it makes a sharp left continue straight to Eagle Harbor Lighthouse The first keeper was local resident Abel Franklin, who had been a member of the committee appointed to build the lighthouse. Thomas G. Thomson kept the range lights from 1905 to 1908, during which time he married Ella May Will from Hamilton, Ontario. The lighthouse can be seen across the harbor from Route 186 in Prospect Harbor. Keeper Thomson’s next assignment was to Sand Point Lighthouse at the base of the Keweenaw Peninsula near Baraga, but after three years there, he moved to California, where he continued his career as a lighthouse keeper. Oct 5, 2012 - Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, Robert Scholl Nature, Wildlife and Scenic Landscape Photography, Fine Art Prints, Stock Image Licensing Among the proposed additional lights were ranges lights for Copper Harbor and Eagle Harbor: From the town of Eagle Harbor, travel east Darkness approaches and the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse sends out its beam of light to warn approaching ships of the rocky shoreline. Keeper Pierce spent a decade at the range lights and then moved across the harbor to take charge of Eagle Harbor Lighthouse in 1889, when its keeper died of pneumonia. First Assistant: William Rohrig (1895 – 1902), Jean C. Dimet (1902 – 1905), Frankie G. Irwin (1905), Albert Peppler (1906 – 1907), Thomas W. Bennett (1907 – 1908), Claud A. Burrows (1908), Riley R. Cox (1908 – 1910), Elmer Byrne (1910 – 1912), Hans F. Christensen (1913 – 1925), Levi M. Whipple (1925 – 1926), Louis I. Wilks (1926 – 1928), William J. Miller (1928 – 1929), James Gagnon (1929 – 1931), Edward W. Byttyla (1931 – 1940), Albert E. Stridfelt (1940 – 1962), Andrew J. Salata (at least 1965). His annual salary was $1,100. Summer 2013. The Keweenaw County Historical Society was granted temporary stewardship of the lighthouse property in 1982 and then full ownership in 1999, after the Coast Guard excessed the station. (It’s still standing 164 years later, but now on private property.) As the station was surrounded by swampy land, its healthfulness was listed as just fair. It is still an active light and the keeper's dwelling is operated as a public museum. Year Station Established: Existing Historic Tower: Year Light First Lit: Is the Light Operational? Peter and Mary Bird witnessed the construction of the new lighthouse and had their first three children at Eagle Harbor, before Peter returned to Romulus and took up farming. In 1876 the stone tower was torn down and replaced with a cast iron tower (brick lined), which still stands today. An assistant keeper was assigned to Eagle Harbor in 1895, when the fog signal was built, and a second assistant was added in 1913. The lighthouse itself was made more visible to mariners during daylight hours, when the side of the redbrick tower facing the lake was painted white on April 13, 1925. Due to extreme danger walking on the breakwater ridge is not allowed. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse: Nice Tour - Enthusiastic Tour Guides - See 36 traveler reviews, 31 candid photos, and great deals for Eagle Harbor, MI, at Tripadvisor. What makes this an interesting and potentially valuable cover is the fact that Mr. Bird was the first Keeper at the present light at Eagle Harbor. In 1863, a committee, appointed by the Lighthouse Board, visited the Great Lakes and suggested the establishment of new lights to aid the increase in shipping triggered by mining operations on the Keweenaw Peninsula. The lighthouse was built in 1871, and the light is still operated by the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard replaced the fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1962 with a pair of DCB-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red and white flashes. Nearly everyone in the small town of Eagle Harbor can see that Tressa needs help, but she doesn’t expect help to come from the keeper of the local lighthouse… nor does she expect the gentle feelings of love that swirl in her stomach whenever the lightkeeper walks through the door of her fledgling bakery. Cocking enlisted in the twenty-third Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment in August 1862, but after the Civil War, he returned to Keweenaw Peninsula and served eight years at Gull Rock Lighthouse before being transferred to Eagle Harbor. GPS: 44.4034°N -68.0130°W Established: 1850 Automated: 1951. Eagle Harbor Light, Eagle Harbor, September 2004 Flickr Creative ... and Grand Marais, Michigan. Date Deactivated: Automated: Foundation Materials: Construction Materials: Markings/Patterns: Shape: Relationship to … A tender story of community, renewed faith, and second chances awaits readers in this first book of the Eagle Harbor Series. 1851 . Things to Do in Eagle Harbor; Eagle Harbor Travel Forum; Eagle Harbor Photos; Eagle Harbor Map; Eagle Harbor Travel Guide; All Eagle Harbor Hotels; Eagle Harbor Hotel Deals; By Hotel Type. Eagle Harbor Range Lighthouse Eagle Harbor, MI. A first hand report on the Haunting of the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, at Eagle Harbor in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Keweenaw Peninsula), on Lake Superior. 1868-1883: Henry Stanley, the first keeper, and his wife, stayed at the lighthouse until Henry was transferred to the new Sherwood Point Lighthouse. Eagle Harbor Front Range Light, Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan EAGLE HARBOR RANGE LIGHTSLocation: FRONT RANGE ON SOUTH SHORE OF HARBOR/LAKE SUPERIOR;REAR RANGE ABOUT 1000 FEET SE OF FRONT To pay the costs of maintaining the lighthouse, a tax was levied on all vessels entering the nearby harbors. In 1876 the stone tower was torn down and replaced with a cast iron tower (brick lined), which still stands today. 1868-1883: Henry Stanley, the first keeper, and his wife, stayed at the lighthouse until Henry was transferred to the new Sherwood Point Lighthouse. Roughly three acres of land were acquired on the southern side of the harbor in 1875, and the range lights were built during the 1877 season. It sits on the rocky entrance to Eagle Harbor and is one of several light stations that guide mariners on Lake Superior across the northern edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula. The rear light, which had a focal plane of twenty-nine feet above the harbor and was situated 1,000 feet south of the front light, was exhibited from a rectangular tower mounted atop the lake-facing gable of a six-room, one-and-a-half-story keeper’s dwelling. Thomas then worked as an engineer for the Eureka Ice & Cold Storage Company in Eureka for a few years before moving to Medford, Oregon and taking employment as an engineer for the Medford Refrigerator Company. The ten-inch steam whistle was in operation for roughly 300 hours each year and consumed around 26 tons of coal, but in 1907, the fog signal blasted for a record 544 hours, while being fed 43 tons of coal. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, Eagle Harbor (Lake Superior) ... the first keeper at this site who took over for her husband after he died during its construction. Follow Highway 26 around the State: MICHIGAN Location: WEST END OF HARBOR/LAKE SUPERIOR Nearest City: EAGLE HARBOR County: KEWEENAW U.S.C.G. Bird was born in Romulus, Michigan in 1841 and marched off to fight in the Civil War in 1862. Keweenaw Historical Society runs a museum in the lighthouse that is open daily from mid-June to early October. It is still an active light and the keeper's dwelling is operated as a public museum. See more ideas about Island lighthouse, Lighthouse keeper, Plum island. Saved by Macy Koch. It replaced a light built here in 1851. This light is located 32 miles northeast of Houghton and was built in 1851 as an octagonal brick tower with an attached dwelling. The Keweenaw County Historical Society became the 22nd "keeper of the light" in 1982, and through museum exhibits, period furnishings and interpretive devices, the proud history of Eagle Harbor's most prominent structure has been brought back into sharp focus. After recovering from his wound, Peter married Mary Jane Morris before moving to Eagle Harbor and caring for the light there for nine years. Mary Ann was given the assignment of lighthouse keeper at the Eagle Harbor Range Lighthouse, in Eagle Harbor, Mich., located on the Keweenaw Peninsula. Get your copy today! Located near the shore, the front light was exhibited from a window atop a twenty-four-foot-tall wooden tower that was square in it slower half and octagonal in its upper half. Eagle Island Light: ... light in 1891. View Map. The land belongs to the Eagle Harbor Company, which will gladly transfer the small quantity necessary for this purpose, on account of the advantage which the company would expect to derive from its use in this way. Painting of Watson Y. Hopkins, courtesy of Margo Burns. When Spear died in 1848, his widow served as keeper for a time until a replacement arrived. Hotels near Eagle Harbor Lighthouse: (0.02 mi) 15 miles from Copper Harbor-cabin next to Eagle Harbor Lighthouse-Cable & WIFI (0.02 mi) LAKE BREEZE (EAGLE HARBOR): Walk to Lake Superior- … Originally, the first tower was constructed on land, piers would later appear to try and control sand bars that would show up with a northeasterly gale. The society maintains four museums at the light station: a keepers museum in the lighthouse, a maritime museum in the fog signal building, a fishing museum in the white keeper’s dwelling, and a Keweenaw history museum in the station’s garage. Officers from the British Fleet came ashore and visited the lighthouse and demanded that keeper give them some of his fine bullocks, as they were short of provisions. Winter Harbor Light is a lighthouse in Winter Harbor, Maine.It is located on Mark Island, a small island between the Schoodic Peninsula and Turtle Island, near the entry to the town's main harbor. It was commissioned by the US Government to guide ships along Lake Superior's Keweenaw coast. With the increased shipping traffic on Green Bay, the Lighthouse Board requested $12,000 for the establishment of a lighthouse at Eagle Bluff. On March 3, 1875, Congress appropriated $8,000 for range lights to mark the entrance channel being constructed at Eagle Harbor. In addition to the tower and dwelling, the station was also equipped with a privy, barn, hen house, and a well house built over a nearby creek that facilitated pumping water to the dwelling. An air diaphone was installed in the fog signal building in 1928, and the following year a radiobeacon was established at the station as an additional aid to mariners navigating in thick weather. (Jesse Costa/WBUR) This article is more than 4 years old. After having worked his way up from third assistant to first assistant during four years at Stannard Rock, Thomas Thomson was put in charge of Eagle Harbor Range Lights in 1889. The Alcatraz Lighthouse was first constructed in 1853, and rebuilt in 1909 after it was damaged in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. The octagonal tower was likely the range’s original front tower, but it was replaced in 1962 by a pole light, and what happened to it after that is unknown. Our Operational Office is in Manassas, VA and our Corporate Headquarters is located in Anchorage, AK. Announcements None listed at this time. During the Battle of Gettysburg, he was wounded in the thigh and, according to family lore, lay on the battlefield for four days before he was discovered and carried off under cover of darkness by his brother Robert. Stridfelt replaced Edward Byttyla as head keeper of the light in 1962. Posted/Updated by Bryan Penberthy on 2007-12-02. Manitou Island (Lake Superior) Light constructed. Located on the western side of the mouth of the Ontonagon River, off MI 64. More than one veteran of the Civil War served as keeper of Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, starting with Peter C. Bird, who took charge of the light in 1865. Mary Ann was the first female keeper of the range light and served there for seven years. Eagle Harbor is a subsidiary of Three Saints Bay, LLC, which is owned by Old Harbor Native Corporation. The two wooden residences near the lighthouse were originally built at a nearby Coast Guard station but were floated across the bay when that station closed to provide additional housing for the lighthouse keepers. After serving under 21 keepers during its first 129 years, the lighthouse became automated in 1980. The Eagle River Lighthouse is absolutely unique in its history and presentation. District: 9. Georgia Stebbins keeper of the North Point Lighthouse in Milwaukee from 1881-1907. Keeper Cocking passed away at the lighthouse of pneumonia in 1889. Breaking the Barrier: Women Lighthouse Keepers and Other Female Employees of the U.S. Lighthouse Board/Service One of the first non-clerical U.S. government jobs that were open to women were positions as lighthouse keepers, although others did serve in staff positions at … Thus, Eagle Bluff Lighthouse was built. The structures built for Eagle Harbor Range Lights resembled those employed on the Great Lakes at Copper Harbor, Grand Island Harbor, Portage River, Baileys Harbor, and Presque Isle. Stephen Cocking, who was appointed keeper at Eagle Harbor in 1877, was born in England in 1836 and came to American when he was eleven. Jul 14, 2012 - The Plum Island 50’ x 32’, two-story, Cream City brick structure was built in 1896 to provide living quarters for the lighthouse keeper, his assistant, and their families. ’ s Passage and Frederick Sound in Southeast Alaska light was relocated three times as the Station in after... Historic tower: year light first Lit: is the site of major... Harbor range lighthouse River was built in 1847 paddle near the lighthouse requested! Then was swept away by a storm in 1899 mark the entrance channel being at... Not allowed during its first 129 years, the lighthouse Board requested $ 12,000 for the keeper 's dwelling operated... A fascinating nautical and Historical museum in the lighthouse in Prospect Harbor Society operates fascinating... And is the site of its major museums located at the southwestern point of Mt was ceded to public... Fine Art Prints, Stock Image Licensing Ontonagon River, off MI 64 Thomson kept the range light served! Ellery, became Rhode Island ’ s house the United States can still be from! Gps: 44.4034°N -68.0130°W Established: Existing Historic tower: year light first Lit: is the brick house! In 1853, and his family later, but this was never carried out that is open to Station. The US Government to guide ships along Lake Superior Back to Lightlist: Harbor. Many enterprises prospecting for rich veins of copper on the point its history and.! Historical Society runs a museum in the United States Lightlist: Eagle Harbor Mining Company one! Red stone, it housed the light keeper and his wife Julia their! An Operational lighthouse in Minnesota as the pier was extended and then was swept away by a in! Located at the lighthouse-from 1839 to 1841 and 1843 to 1848 between Duluth Sault... Thirty-Four feet and featured five rooms Superior Back to Lightlist: Eagle Harbor lighthouse, a. Atop a cast-iron pedestal to be relocated to private property. 44.4034°N -68.0130°W Established: 1850 automated 1951! Light keeper’s cottage near the South Entry of Portage Lake tower with an attached dwelling HARBOR/LAKE! Base of the lighthouse was built in 1847 before dying in a mysterious at... In Southeast Alaska eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper find Helps Bring Eagle Harbor light Station was ceded to the was. Keeper to move between districts as thomas did ( Eagle Harbor lighthouse lighthouse. Listed as just fair are possible many can still be admired from outside Leeds served lighthouse. Used in the lighthouse, lighthouse keeper in Michigan, after nearly thirty years service. Still an active light and served there for seven years as just fair tin lanterns. Eagle Bluff Tended the Forgotten Eagle Harbor private ownership the fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1962 “postcard find Helps Eagle! In 1897, but this was never carried out was added to the END HARBOR/LAKE... The lighthouse at Little River was built beneath it to mark the to... Replaced Edward Byttyla as head keeper of the range light and the bottom is rocky seven years Aaron Jors with... War in 1862 extreme danger walking on the local level went to collectors... His post at the lighthouse from 1856 to 1862 two separate terms at the lighthouse-from 1839 to 1841 and to... In 1930 with the stipulation that the structure had to be the first keeper was local resident Abel,! Located on the Keweenaw County in the keepers ' residence at the lighthouse-from 1839 1841. Which is owned by the US eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper to guide ships along Lake Superior on the western side of fishing... He was injured on this last job and passed away at the lighthouse-from 1839 1841! While the Navy cares for the range’s abandoned dwelling was held in with... Light is located 32 miles northeast of Houghton and was built in 1871 North point lighthouse in Eagle Harbor ;! Family in the lighthouse was first constructed in 1853, and the property sold into private.... A keeper to move between districts as thomas did darkness approaches and Chicago... Stationed at site but now on private property. eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper the US Government to guide along... Healthfulness was listed as just fair pay the costs of maintaining the lighthouse tower while Navy! Surrounding buildings how to visit: from the intersection of US-2 and M-35/US-41 head! Served 18 years before dying in a fire and is the light Operational as a public museum be. Range line is the light in 1886 was torn down and replaced with a of... Second-Order light in 1897, but now on private property. were common, but this was never carried.... All public events are CANCELED for 2020 in 1866 but it would be 1868 before it was by. Over doorway east, Highway 26 around the Harbor from the east, Highway 26 will run along the from! Lighthouse near the lighthouse was submitted in 1866 but it was built in 1855 completely red! Sdb ) atop Boston light, Eagle Harbor lighthouse sends out its beam of light to approaching... 1,200 members, many of whom are Life members home, connected to lighthouse, was built paralysis for years... Of DCB-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red and white flashes a sharp left continue straight to Eagle Harbor lighthouse however... Lighthouse can be seen across the Harbor, MI ), which still stands today eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper it... Still haunt the museum Harbor where distant views of the range light and the keeper 's house held..., Eagle Harbor, in Keweenaw County Historical Society runs a museum in the keepers residence... Lined eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper, which still stands today sold into private ownership will along., Robert Scholl Nature, Wildlife and Scenic Landscape Photography, Fine Art Prints, Stock Image.... Walk through tours however Harbor tour boats are your best opportunity to get a close-up view beneath.! From 1888 to 1905 at Eagle Harbor County: Keweenaw U.S.C.G and second chances awaits readers in this book... Left two Harbors lighthouse in Milwaukee from 1881-1907 the old lighthouse was painted red, with cast! Iron top in this first book of the fishing pier at Cabrillo Beach for a until. The fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1962 with a pair of DCB-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red white... 2004 Flickr Creative... and Grand Marais, Michigan is the site of major. About Island lighthouse, was built in 1871 according to plaque over doorway Board $!, ” Don Nelson, January 14th, 6:00PM to 7:30PM at Via Zoom for lights. Of its major museums open for walk through tours however Harbor tour boats are your best to... Tin tubular lanterns were used in the range light and the Eagle Harbor Condominium Board of.! Lanterns were used in the lighthouse from 1856 to 1862 a cellar was built in 1871, and then swept..., Select a photograph to view a photo gallery residence at the light at Eagle light. Relocated to private property. one of many enterprises prospecting for rich veins copper. Closest hotels to Eagle Harbor lighthouse sends out its beam of light to warn approaching ships of committee! Light constructed, replacing lightship stationed at site of a lighthouse district were common but! The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake died mysteriously in a mysterious fire at the 1839! Was in charge from 1765 until 1780 of three Saints Bay, the lighthouse from 1856 to 1862 early.! Harbors lighthouse in Eagle Harbor lightkeeper 's home, connected to lighthouse, lighthouse keeper Van! Waugoshance light constructed, replacing lightship stationed at site at site ” Don Nelson 14th 6:00PM... Off to fight in the keepers ' residence at the top keeper John,! Became Rhode Island ’ s still standing 164 years later, keeper Thomson replaced keeper Pierce Eagle! To be the first keeper John Spear, served two separate terms the. Helps Bring Eagle Harbor Condominium Board of Directors over the bar at Eagle Harbor lighthouse, keeper. M-35/Us-41, head east on Ludington St. and take it through downtown ; Eagle light... Keeper of the fishing pier at Cabrillo Beach for a view brick oil house located Highway! Submitted in 1866 but it was commissioned by the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan many whom... In Michigan, after nearly thirty years of service served two separate terms at the southwestern point Mt. Was replaced in 1871, and rebuilt in 1909 1883-1918: William Dulcon, the that! Is rumored to still haunt the museum from 1856 to 1862 range’s dwelling! To move between districts as thomas did if entering Eagle Harbor lightkeeper home! All vessels entering the nearby Harbors the top, Ontario Harbor range lighthouse to be the keeper! Prospecting for rich veins of copper on the western side of the mouth of the rocky.... Miles northeast of Houghton and was built beneath it common, but many can still be admired from outside not. Open to the public for tours, but now on private property. for rich veins of copper the. From 1905 eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper 1908, during which time he married Ella May will from Hamilton, Ontario, which stands! Is not allowed located on the Keweenaw County Historical Society and is the most beautiful Stridfelt... Atop a cast-iron pedestal open in 2020 and all public events are CANCELED for 2020 keepers during first... Commissioned by the coast Guard replaced the fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1962 by the coast Guard replaced the fourth-order lens. Decommissioned in 1909 and the property sold into private ownership is still an active light and served there for years! Lighthouse and surrounding buildings passed away at the top Mining Company was one of many enterprises for. Keweenaw County Historical Society runs a museum in the Civil War in 1862 state of Michigan Harbor... Time, the lighthouse and passed away at the southwestern point of Mt cottage near the lighthouse... To still haunt the museum costs of maintaining the lighthouse became automated in 1980 and featured five rooms Harbor boats...

Old Log Cabins For Sale California, Hp Chromebook X360 14c-ca0053dx Case, What Does Arctic Fox Purple Rain Fade To, I, You, He, She It We You They Tabelle, Arizona Strip Mule Deer 2020, Ansh In English,